Science Olympiad 2013-14
August 15, 2013 by
Donna Brown in
Eagles Home Educators are excited to be beginning another year of Science Olympiad!
Our first practice is Next Tuesday – August 20th at 11am. Bring a lunch (Or plan to run get something nearby) Students will need paper & pencils. (middle and high)
IF you have an elementary student 3-6th grade who is interested PLEASE contact us! It looks like we may have a team after all!
Younger siblings are allowed to hang out.
Meeting DATES: 1st & 3rd Tuesdays Each month. Aug – March/April 9am – 4pm (Actual schedule will depend on the areas your student is studying.
Church at Winder Youth House The Refuge Youth Center
559 Treadwell Road
Bethlehem, GA 30620
The cost is $100 for the first student and $15 for each additional student PLUS a family fee of $20 to join Eagles. 1/2 of the payment is due on Sept. 1st. The other half is due Oct. 1st. You can also choose to pay monthly. *Monthly Payments of $30 over a period of 6 months. (Eagles Fee due by Sept 1st also) Due Sept. 1, Oct. 1, Nov. 1, Jan. 1, Feb. 1, and March 1. You will be allowed to pay this amount off quicker – but the amount will remain the same – $180 A box will be available weekly to place payments in.
Some things to consider (About our Science Olympiad Teams)
- You must be a traditional homeschool family (National rules – not ours) As long as you turn in a Deceleration of Intent all is well!
- This is a major commitment !! Plan to follow through. Our season runs from late August – Mid March. Practice is weekly and more often than that when we get close to tournament dates.
- This year we will have Elementary, Middle and High School competitive teams. (Parents are required to be involved – helping coach, plan etc.
- Students will be divided onto teams based on counties they live in (another national rule!) and their ages.
- COLLEGES LOVE to see SciOLy on transcripts!
- Our Middle school A team went to state this year. This is the 2nd year in a row Eagles has sent a team to state! They came in 4rd at regionals (regional had 24 teams) and 10th at state (24 teams) Our middles school B team also did amazingly well! (first year students) Many of our students medaled and earned ribbons this year! Our High School team BARLEY missed a trip to state! The did an amazing job with many students earning medals and ribbons as well.
- Competitions are on Saturdays. We go to at least one invitational, regional and possibly state. Middle school will also go to a training session in Cobb County. Over night travel to regional competition is possible – we have to be able to work dates around our competitive speech/debate and High School SciOly team……
For more information see http://soinc.org/
For questions or RSVP contact Donna Brown email@example.com (Middle school teams and overall questions) or Shonda Acton firstname.lastname@example.org (High School Coach)